DIY: Scented Lovie

I love Scentsy! I mean, who doesn't? I love all the scents and warmers they have!  My favorite scent is "Clean Breeze". It smells like clean laundry! I love it when my house smells like I've been cleaning all day even if I have not! :)

Anyways, I was at a Scentsy party a while back and I saw the "Scentsy Buddies". They are super cute and as if that were not enough they have a compartment oinside of them where you can put a "scent" in them. The scent packs are like little sachets that come in several of the Scentsy smells. When I saw these it was like a light bulb went off in my head! "Duh silly!! You sew, you can make this!!" So, that's just what I did! Im here to share withyou how you can make you own "Scented Lovie"!

Pin It


{Materials}
stuffed animal
sew-on velcro
fabric scraps
3/4 c. rice (not instant)
scented oil in your child's favorite scent
jar with lid

{Tools}
measuring spoon
sewing machine
funnel or zip-lock baggie with small hole cut in corner to funnel rice into pouch
seam ripper

First you have to make a sachet. Its really sipmple. All you have to do is mix 3/4 c. dry rice (not instant) in with 1 tsp. scented oil (I got mine at Wally in the candle section, but you could probably find them at craft stores and maybe even health food stores) in a mason jar with lid (you will only need the rim of the lid, not the flat top part). Then you place a scrap of fabric on top and screw on the rim over the fabric. Lastly, shake a couple times a day for about a week or until the rice is once again dry and the oil has soaked in.



Meanwhile, make your pouch the rice will go in. Cut two squares of fabric that are 4in X 4in. Sew right sides together, leaving an opening big enough to pour the rice in. Next fill with dried rice and close the seam. You can slip stitch it if you want, but I just ran it through the machine. Now you have a sachet to put in your "Scented Lovie"!



Now to prepare your Lovie!

{Step 1}

Either buy a stuffed animal or pick one out that your child already owns. If your kids are anything like mine you have a MILLION of these beady eyed things laying all over the house!!

{Step 2}

Find a seam on the back or on the bottom. (I think a seam in the back is best, if there is one. I don't know about you, but ripping the seam open on the bottom is just a little disturbing to me!! hehe!) and take apart the seam about 5 inches long, using a seam ripper. Remove most of the stuffing from the body area to make it easier to sew.


{Step 3}

Now take your Velcro and measure out how much you need by comparing it to your hole in the stuffed animal. Cut the Velcro to length.


{Step 4}

Sew the Velcro along the outside of both sides of the opening. Replace the stuffing.


{Step 5}

Place the sachet in the stuffed animal and close the Velcro by folding the two sides in together.


And Viola! You have a Scented Lovie to give to your child. They will love having this special friend who smells like their favorite scent! I took my daughters with me and let them pick out a scent that they liked!



I hope you enjoy this tutorial and find it easy to follow. As always feel free to ask any questions you might have! I always try to respond to your comments! Thanks for taking a look!

Have a blessed day!





5 comments:

  1. what a cool idea I'd never have thought ot do that I hope you'll add it to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooooo amazing!!!!! Must be sooo soothing!!

    Come check out my blog too :)
    thediydreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about making my youngest a cute little stuffed animal and I LOVE this idea! Just wondering though, how long will the rice smell all yummy? My kids love opening all their stuffed animals/Glow Worms/anything with velcro and I just know that I would have stuffing in places that I didn't even know existed in my house. Been there, done that. I'd like to avoid using the velcro if possible, but I'm thinking it really wouldn't be, unless I just didn't care that the scent faded. (Sorry for the novel!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At last, I’ve found someone who sees things in my eyes! :D I’ve done this for my kids and would probably start selling some to my close friends. Kidding! But, I’ve handed out a lot of this as my Thanksgiving gift. It’s not too expensive, but is undeniably made thoughtfully and with love. :) And also, I want my loved ones to remember me for the scent I personally chose for each of them. I love the scent you used here, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! You have a lot of very cute tutorials. I JUST started a new community pin board for those of us who work hard to make tutorials. If you would like to post on the pin board I would love to have you. Email me and I will add you as a contributor my email is mylifeonthedivide at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...